Saturday, February 19, 2011

Look at that!!

It has been a little over than a month since I last wrote in this blog. By this time I would assume that everyone has made the connection that due to the unrest in Egypt, I am no longer studying there! But it all turned out well in the grand scheme of things. I was actually going to be make post the day before the first demonstrations than lo and behold the internet was shut down by the Mubarak regime. Nevertheless, I am here, trying to make up lost time. I will do my best.

After the first day of demonstrations on Eid al-Shorta, or the Police Day, my friends and I decided not to go to Mt. Sinai. We had heard that traveling was going to be difficult and that there was a possibility we might be stuck in Cairo. Friday approached and the mass demonstrations were scheduled for after Friday prayers.

As a time saver, Ill go through it on a quick timeline...
Friday- Demonstrations (things I saw)
- Cars on fire
- Buildings on fire
- Police Department on fire
- Demonstrators
etc.

Saturday-
- Go to friends apartment (another American student) because dorms weren't safe
- Gun fire from 6PM to 8AM
- Egyptians protecting the block from looters-- using sticks, swords, knifes, baseball bats, anything to protect their families and property
- Receive call- Evac. Team to pick us up in 20-40mins
- 3 hours later they never show up
- Program director pays a guy with a coach bus to pick us up
- Get to the airport, plane is supposed to be there for us
- 36 hours later, we finally leave

Middlebury staff worked tirelessly to secure a fast and safe evacuation. Absolutely amazing. I really can't say enough for everything that they did.

While the process was underway my study abroad advisor was already researching programs that I might be able to jump on! It was fantastic! All of the students in the program were trying to figure out how they could get back to the Middle East to study Arabic-- evaluating situations in other countries, looking at colloquial options, etc. It was exciting, but we all loved Egypt and the program in Alexandria.

Here is a nice video from the apartment we stayed at




No comments:

Post a Comment